Are you suffering from neck pain? Yes! There are many reasons which may trigger neck pain or neck stiffness in you. Mostly, due to poor posture, injury while playing sports or other activities might have caused neck pain. A stiff neck is not the cause for concern as it gets cured by itself, but if it interferes with your daily activities, then medical attention is a must.
Here, in this article, we provide with you a glimpse of at-home stiff neck treatment. But, before going through the remedies, let’s first find out a few possible causes for neck pain.
What are the causes of neck pain?
Various factors can trigger and cause neck pain in you. A few possible causes are listed below:
- Poor posture
- Spinal injury
- Clenched jaw
- Fracture in cervical vertebrae
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Herniated cervical disc
- Spinal stenosis
Home remedies to fix neck pain:
Several remedies may help reduce pain stiff neck. Here, we have listed out a few home remedies. Read on!
1. Ice and heat therapy –
Applying ice and heat therapy for 20 minutes helps to ease neck inflammation. But, apply heat or cold pack several times a day to manage the pain or until the pain is subsided. Taking a shower in a hot bath may help to relieve symptoms. There are many OTC medicines available in the market, which helps in relieving your pain symptoms. Order medicines from a trusted online drug store at the comfort of your home and get them delivered at your doorstep right on time.
2. Stretches –
Yes! Stretching can ease your neck discomfort. But, avoid sudden movements as it may increase the risk of inflammation, injury, and pain. The type of stretches you can include are: rotating your neck forward and backwards in a circular motion, turn your head side to side, and squeeze your shoulder and tighten it together for a few seconds.
3. Schedule a break time to alleviate it. Sitting for hours at one stretch can worsen your neck pain and can strain your neck muscles. Hence, stretch yourself by taking a small break for every one hour or whenever possible.
4. Try doing neck exercises every day. Include exercises like active neck rotation, neck flexion, head lift with neck curl, isometric neck side bend, head lift with neck curl bend, chin tucks, active neck side bend, and many more.
5. Always maintain a good posture to avoid getting neck pain.
6. Try changing your position while sitting or standing for a long time as maintaining the same posture for a long run in a day may increase the risk of getting severe pain
7. Supporting your neck with a pillow may help to lessen your neck pain
8. Get a massage from a trained practitioner to relieve from your stiffed neck.
9. While suffering from it, try to suspend all the physical activities and heavy lifting until the pain resolves.
10. Severe stress can aggravate pain! Reduce your stress levels by hearing music, doing yoga and meditation or enjoy any activities that you like the most.
11. Keep an eye on your sleeping environment. Yes! Proper sleeping posture, firmer mattresses, sleeping on the back, and using a mouth guard if you have the practice of grinding teeth will help to relieve your neck pain to a greater extent.
When to see the doctor:
If you are getting frequent episodes of neck pain, if it didn’t go away even after doing home-remedies or if the pain radiates to your arms, muscles, or legs then visiting your healthcare provider is a must. Sometimes, additional medical symptoms like a herniated disc, back pain, or arthritis may trigger neck pain. He or she may suggest physical therapy or may recommend prescription medicines based on your symptoms. Order your prescription medicines from a trusted online medical site and get them delivered directly at your doorstep.